Welcome to CHARTER HOUSE INTERIORS, 331 1st Avenue North in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. This has been a family owned and operated business for over forty-five years. There is 11,000 square feet of retail space on two floors, with plans to open a year around outdoor patio furniture area.
Charter House Interiors has evolved from baskets and wicker/rattan furniture to a full line of leather and upholstered furniture.
Sales of outdoor resin furniture has been phenomenal; with most of our referrals coming from neighbors asking other neighbors where they bought their patio sets.
We pride ourselves in carrying many Canadian Made products.
Home decor items include lighting, table decor, coffee/end tables and artwork. The artwork was introduced in January of 2005 and has grown from one supplier to five. Some home decor items we carry are different and quirky, some are mainstream, but all are worth having a look at. A good selection of quality silk trees and plants has been a destination shopping item for as long as Charter House has been in business.
The amount of Christmas decorations and home decor items have been growing steadily over the past several years. Our Christmas open house (held either the second or third Saturday in November each year) is a “must attend” event. Our in-store 6′ Nutcracker statue is dressed up for every holiday & special occasion.
Customers are fascinated by the construction of the building, the old time safe on the first and second floors, the general history of the building and surrounding areas.
Mastercard, Visa, Debit, Cash and Cheques accepted.
The basement and first three floors of the Tees and Persse Building was constructed in Saskatoon in 1911 with the second three floors going up in 1913. Over the years the building has been used as a warehouse, storage and various retail outlets. In the 1990’s there were twelve small stores operating as Charter House Village Mall. The mall idea worked well for many years but as the store owners retired or moved, Don and Norma Carmichael started up N.J.’s Wicker Warehouse with a 12’x24′ store and $3,000.00 in inventory consisting of baskets and wicker/rattan furniture. The store grew to 11,000 square feet, the inventory grew and the name was changed to Charter House Interiors in 2003 to better reflect the expanding lines of product. In 2007, Ken Carmichael took over the every day running of the business.
The owners have maintained the heritage look of the building from the exposed wood beams to the original safes and windows. Unfortunately the original boiler became inefficient so steam heat was replaced by forced air furnaces in 2005. There are two floors of retail space and the other four floors have storage and artist spaces. Charter House Interiors is worth the trip downtown for a relaxed shopping experience.